Saturday, October 23, 2004

Haiku

Many Rains Have Come
I hope she remains there now
'cos I am thirsty

Haiku is a short poem with 17 syllables, or perhaps even short Japanese poems with 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables. Haikus were essentially poems about nature. They had to contain a seasonal word (kigo) or reference and be about a definite experience - kind of like a 'zen moment'. As they grew in popularity they produced many movements and schools of thought in Japan, though it is generally accepted that the other three great historic masters were Yosa Buson (1716-1783), Kobayashi Issa (1763-1827) and Masaoka Shiki (1867-1902). It is only during the twentieth century that these short poems have become commonly known as haiku.

The specific meaning I wanted to convey was that Hope is our greatest strength and weakness at the same time.On second reading of it I guess I was a failure but would like to post it my first memoir of this form albeit with some crudeness.

2 comments:

G Shrivastava said...

Heh...yeah I couldn't quite figure out what you were trying to say there!
I've always found the Haiku form very interesting - I discovered it as a kid through the Childcraft encyclopaedia when Haiku was just cute, silly verses to me. Ofcourse since then I've come across some really nice ones - wonderful how they manage to encapsulate a wealth of meaning in so few lines!

Anonymous said...

Spell not what you hatch
Let me catch the thousandth branch
Joy hangs, out of reach.

-An ape with no pea