Thursday, August 06, 2009

Palimpsest

There's some cool stuff on Archimedes Palimpsest I found today. I was fascinated by the concept of 'Palimpsest' as that word always conjures up the image of India to me. The following passage from The Discovery of India was what I read when I was a child (child's mind is like wet cement, once a certain impression is made and hardened, it stays there for a very long time) which was the cause for the association

India is like an ancient palimpsest on which layer
upon layer of thought and reverie have been inscibed.
This is the complex and mysterious personality of India.
About her is the elusive quality of a legend long ago;
some enchantment seems to have held her mind.
She is a myth and an idea, a dream and a vision,
and yet very real and present and pervasive."

No comments: