Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Of Tailors and 2008

The only man who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew every time he sees me, while all the rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them.

George Bernard Shaw

I miss those old days when you had to visit a tailor to stitch your clothes rather than buy the so called 'ready-made'. Now a days its almost a luxury to have one, thanks to economies of scale.

Each year is like a tailor in that it takes some sense of measure of what makes you 'you'. 2008 was a thorny year it was but sure makes it possible for a rosy 2009 given what we all have been through. These kinds of situations force 'clarity' upon oneself and we definitely need that in tons at this moment.

Broadly my measurements for this year include:

* Geo : started this year in wintry Boston, and ended back at sunny silicon valley
* Career: work for a different employer than the one I started the year with.
* Finance: I lost 44% of my net worth but gained the trust of few special people
* Motor: I have one more car . One Diesel and another Gasoline. I am hedging my bets

The cake albeit must go to this find-your-mate-via-the-internet thingy. Despite meeting some very interesting women and somewhat promising relationships that had to be nipped, the year ends with the same status as I started. But then its a source of joy that'll flow into the next year

It was also a good year for discovering things, authors, blogs and people. For example, it was very stimulating to have discovered George Gamow. I am seriously committed to reading more often and more variety in 2009. This article here tells you why its preferable to other media.

The other thing that needs revamp is my value system which seems pretty outdated. When the facts change, I think value systems should too.

Anyways, Here's wishing you a lovely, event-filled, full-of-things-to-look-forward-to type of an Year that we enumerate as 2009.



1 comment:

Primalsoup said...

Clearly I need GB Shaw's tailor. Mine is so useless and hopeful. :)

And here is wishing all of us a good 2009. :)