Thursday, February 07, 2008

Of Standing Tall..

Steve Wozniak is remembered to have said the followin in relation to what he learnt from his dad

I clearly remember him telling me that engineering was the highest level of importance you could reach in the world, that someone who could make electrical devices that do something good for people takes society to a new level. He told me that as an engineer, you can change your world and change the way of life for lots and lots of people

My dad worked in a bank and the key thing I learnt from his work is that you never ever keep a customer waiting for anything (this was in a time when some of his colleagues were clearly going to tea despite the increasing customer line. The value he taught me was that the bank existed because of those customer (for banks consider the fact that loans are assets and your deposits are liabilities).I have incorporated into my value system ever since (I keep reminding our folks that our salaries are paid because our customers take out their checkbook)..
Anyways today was an especially good time for me in the sense that I was able to see through those two visions in a simultaneous manner.I shall remember the year of the rat for a long time to come. It is today I reached the original goal I set in my resume when I set out for hunting jobs: "To write software that can change people's lifestyle". Right now it is a very small group of people and in the near future it would be extended to everyone who has access to Internet.
Its such a frickin big responsibility and the weight of its discipline hangs around like the Sword of Damocles. Despite doing everything, I felt like a pregnant mom yesterday, not knowing how a launch would go. Its not without reason that people shudder live demo of any kind. Not only did the demo went well, its rapid adoption by people around it and the questions and the buzz..Huh! Finally interest by the highest echelons treating like a playground was both a relief and an extremely nervous moment. Today I lived and died quite a few times.
In the end, it was all worth it. For me, to come all the way across from the other side, not knowing if I would deliver. This is how people generate confidence in themselves, by doing things they fear the most :)

No comments: