Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Fusion 9

The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
Labour and rest, that equal periods keep;
"Obedient slumbers that can wake and weep;
"Desires compos'd, affections ever ev'n,
Tears that delight,
and sighs that waft to Heav'n.
Grace shines around her with serenest beams,
And whisp'ring angels prompt her golden dreams.
For her th' unfading rose of Eden blooms,
And wings of seraphs shed divine perfumes,
For her the Spouse prepares the bridal ring,
For her white virgins hymeneals sing,
To sounds of heav'nly harps she dies away,
And melts in visions of eternal day.

-Excerpt from Alexander Pope's "Eloisa to Abelard"

4 comments:

G Shrivastava said...

Read "Rape of the Lock" ?

Btw I hate being referred to as "Geeta" - just noticed you've changed that on the sidebar!! Could you please go back to Geebaby or change that to Geetanjali? Just not Geeta!

Paddy said...

Thanks for clearing one of the cobwebs in my memory.
Always thought "Rape of the Lock" was written by Shakespeare instead of Pope.Yes I did when I was a kid but let me go jog my memory..

Since we are on the topic of Alex Pope did you read "An Essay on Man"?

G Shrivastava said...

Thanks Paddy - I see I've gone back to Geebaby! Merci beaucoup!

Umm...I've not read Essay on Man completely - we had an excerpt for our Final year BA (Lit) syllabus and I never managed to get hold of the full thing and read it, despite the many ops that presented themselves to me at BCL!

PS You'd promised a blog on the history of H'Bad...still waiting ;-)

Paddy said...

Gee..Keep Waiting..I am not yet done.I feel i wouldnt do justice by blogging that quickly and with my usual clumsiness as the rich history of it does deserve some finesse.Let me send you a draft of it..