Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Silence

Wittgenstein remarked "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent".
So I extend it to say "Whereof one cannot write,thereof one must not blog".Thats the reason I didnt have a blog for the past few days.It does not mean you have nothing to write it means nothing worthwhile to write.

Ever had that feeling when one music track or a jingle or some tune alwways creeps up on your mind stealthily and you begin to wonder why in the world does this idea randomly gets associated with for no particular reason.

For some reason Bhartrihari's tune is dancing in my mind.I am giving a vent to it now.If my recollection serves me right, this was aired on All India Radio (AIR) early morning (used to be my wakeup call).Whatever happened to it or "Binaca GeetMala"

(Following is a phonetic translation from Sanskrit.CAPS are elongated/emphasized sounds)

kEyUrANi na bhUshayaMti purushaM hArAaH na chaNdrOjjwalah
na snAnaM na vilEpanaM na kusumaM nAlaMkRtA mUrdhajA
vANyEkA samalaMkarOti purushaM
yA saMskRtA dhAryatE kshIyaMtE aKila bhUshaNAni satataM
vAgbhUshaNaM bhUshaNaM !!

Please imagine the twang of a three strings plucked in series on a Veena at the end of each line.
Basically it means to say that there is no jewel that can adorn a person like that of a civilized speech. (My intrepretation here is a li'l rusty).

If you like this there one more pearls of his wisdom could be found here. Now I can go on without the haunt of this for the rest of the day....

1 comment:

G Shrivastava said...

Heh - Dunno about AIR and Bhartihari, its 92.5 FM and their "Good Morning Mumbai" show that I miss these days...not much could beat waking up to the sexy voice of Anish Trivedi...(the RJ who replaced him was not even half as good!)